Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Don't touch me. My boob is healing.

(WARNING this post contains a picture of my stitches! Yay!)

Now I know what 1/37th of the pain of getting a boob job feels like. OK maybe less then that but still.

Yesterday I had my mole removed and replaced with three nicely placed stitches. Pretty exciting stuff if you ask me.

What scared me the most about the whole thing was that I actually had no idea what they were doing. I assumed they were going to cut it out and stitch me up but then someone said something about a laser and I was all confused. I was also a little unsure about exactly where this procedure was going to take place as I had only ever been in two of the different rooms at the doctors office and both were ill equipped to preform such a procedure.

The secretary brought me into the 'Biopsy Room' which freaked the crap out of me. Usually I am such a 'man' when it comes to these things but I was seriously panicking inside. I have a very high tolerance for pain but I've never been sliced open with a knife while being conscious so even though they were going to numb the area I was still scared of how it would feel.

My family doctor has had another doctor from England helping him out for the past 5 years and since it is usually easier to get an appointment with her rather then him I've been seeing her for basically the past 5 years. I thought she was going to be doing the procedure since she booked it for me but to my surprise they were both going to participate in it.

They re-checked my body for funny looking moles and found another one on the back of my shoulders that they are going to keep their eye on and possibly remove at a later date. Then it was time to plop myself down and say good-bye to my funny looking mole.

They poked me with needles to freeze the area but that didn't hurt. I lay there for 5 minutes waiting for everything to settle and take affect. Next came out the knife.

I didn't really feel anything other then pressure. It was almost kind of neat to lay there thinking 'Hey I'm being sliced up right now'. I find a strange kind of joy in things like that. The only part that felt weird was after she cut around it she cut under it to un attach it from the flesh below. It felt like holding up a chunk of meat and cutting it away from the bulk of meat having the bulk fall away as you cut. If that makes any sense that's exactly what it felt like. She showed me the chunk after she cut it away. I couldn't bend right to see the hole now in my boob.

Next it was time for stitches. Another thing I have never had done other then possibly when I was a kid and aside from having my wisdom teeth removed.

Seeing as though I couldn't feel anything (as in the needle piercing my skin) the sensation of being stitched up was very cool. Like I said, I am a freak when it comes to this kind of stuff. It falls right into my obsession with piercings and tattoos. It's a wonder I'm not covered in metal and ink.

It was also very weird as a person who has sewen so many things in my life to then be lying there getting sewen up. It was like the all the fabric I've stitched over the years was getting me back. It was very bizzare.

Mole Removal
I kept the picture small so you won't all puke, but you can click to make it bigger if you're sick like me.


After that they bandaged me up and sent me on my way. The mole went off for testing and I went home to relax. I felt pretty good afterwards considering I was still frozen. I went over to Chads for dinner thinking I could still handle some exercise at the gym. That was until the freezing wore off after dinner and everytime I moved my right arm it pulled on my stitches. Nice. You should have seen me attempt to wash my hair in the shower.

Today I am sore and swollen. My right arm works but every so often I move in a way that pulls at the stitches and it hurts. It is very cool tho to look down and see thread holding me together. It's like a battle scar. I likes scars, for the most part. I use to spend summers as a kid trying to see how many scars I could get on my knees and legs before I going back to school. I was such a tom boy.

I have to wait a week and then I go back for a check up and to get my stiches removed. I kinda like them tho, they're like three little piercings. Hahah I'm so crazy and now yearning to stick needles in my body in the form piercings and tattoos! But not to worry, Chad would most likely kill me if I attempt it.