Friday, November 28, 2008

There was never a mob story written about The Altos.

I'm wearing my long plaid winter jacket. I haven't worn it yet this season because I left it at the parentals and didn't get it back until last night. Its so much more cozier then the one I bought from work.

Chad went and got his hair cut the other day, but the lady who cut it left the front too long and it looked kind of goofy. Once I pointed that out he got all self conscious about it and bagged me to fix it. I used scissors not a razor though the experience DID make me think of Alicia and her little miss happ. Haha awww.

The colour of the evening
Chad at Home


Ok story time...

After being lovingly harassed by certain members of my family to join the choir at my uncle church I finally gave in and went to their practice last night. I actually really wanted to join their choir from the beginning but the new season started up right after we got married and I knew I couldn't dedicate every Thursday night to Choir practice when I was still trying to organize myself and get a handle on all this 'house wife' stuff.

They have an absolutely beautiful choir and ended up making an announcement last week that they would be practicing song for Christmas mass so anyone who wanted to join in preparation for Christmas could do so. Its only 4 Thursday so I figured I could dedicate myself to that at the least.

Now in not knowing anything about this choir I headed down their last night waiting to see what it was all about. They asked me what range I sang in and I said Alto.

I was in an Italian choir for many many years and always sung Soprano because that's where all the girls - my friends - sang. The Altos were just a bunch of old Italian ladies. I was never really good at singing Soprano. I mean I trained myself for many years to do so but what I was really good at was singing at a lower octave. Finally when there was a conductor change in our choir I took the opportunity to move from a Soprano to an Alto. This meant re-learning all the songs I had sung for a million years. The Sopranos sing the melody and the Altos sing the harmony so it is very easy to get lost in what you are singing and end up joining in the melody which you are not suppose to do. This also meant that I could not longer sit with my friends but now had to sit with all the old Italian ladies.

I found it easiest if I situated myself beside a really strong Alto who knew the part like no tomorrow, then I could ignore what the Sopranos were singing and follow her. It slowly got easier over time, but it took a lot of time.

Last night as a warm up we sang a Christmas song everyone knew. So there I was sitting with the altos about to sing the melody when they all bust out in harmony. It was at that point I knew I was in over my head. Here I was thinking that there would be a bunch of old faces and new faces and we would be starting fresh when instead it was basically all regulars, like 3 new people and everyone already knew the songs, knew the parts, knew everything!

I started to panic. How am I suppose to learn the words and harmony to like 10 songs in four weeks not to mention the 2 songs in Latin with 3 more 1 hour choir pratices left??? This is going to be a challenge. I know it doesn't sound like much, and if I were singing Soprano then I really wouldn't worry about it but this is totally different. Not to mention I don't even get to sit with my Aunt because she is a Soprano and not an Alto. Ha.

What have I gotten myself into?